National Grid is seeking a Project Manager to join the team on a contract-basis for a period of one-year with potential for extension. This will be a remote position based out of Syracuse, NY with required travel to a National Grid office for in-person meetings (estimated monthly), the location is flexible within New York state as long as the candidate is willing to travel to Central/Upstate New York for these meetings.
The T&D Grid Modernization Project Manager will manage and drive the delivery of a portfolio of operational telecom projects in NY including copper-to-fiber transition, and the retirement of DS0-level circuits. This role will be directly involved in coordinating collaborative activities between all internal and external stakeholders, analyzing and monitoring project financials and milestones, and developing strategies for devices, applications and solutions to mitigate project specific “risks.” There is also a potential for involvement with coordination efforts around our Telecommunications Operations Management System (TOMS), which is a software application intended to help in planning, designing, engineering, and maintaining our Telecom network end-to-end connectivity. The individual will be responsible for coordinating with groups within National Grid’s NY territories, as well as collaboration with the Grid Mod team in NE.
About the Department
T&D Grid Modernization is driving success and leading through the ambiguity of integrating smart devices and technology, laying the foundations for the network of tomorrow. By growing our organizational capability, we enable National Grid to efficiently and safely drive towards a clean energy future.
– Support the development of operational telecom program strategies and manage project delivery of the portfolio of NY telecom programs.
– Coordinate with diverse stakeholder groups, including but not limited to engineering groups (telecom engineering, substation, civil, etc.), planning & asset management (distribution and transmission), project and program management, field construction and operations, procurement, and IT as needed
– Ensure material is specified and ordered to enable fast-paced construction schedules
– Development and management of detailed program schedules in P6 with well-defined responsibilities between engineering, operations, procurement and other key stakeholders. Seek opportunities for aligning or bundling work to achieve capital efficiencies.
– Support resource coordination for engineering and field resourcing, assist with outsourcing as needed.
– Coordinate the delivery of program specific training and communication based on regional, departmental, or project needs.
– Maintain a record of program risks and issues. The program manager will need to drive risk and issue resolution.
– Consolidate lessons learned and ensure incorporation back into the respective group.
Knowledge & Experience Required
– 7+ years’ experience with project management or equivalent relevant experience.
– A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in an engineering discipline and/or significant relevant project management, engineering and construction experience.
– Certified Project Management Professional preferred.
– Experience with successful delivery of complex projects and possess team leadership skills.
– Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
– Demonstrate a high level of personal initiative and ability to interact with company personnel, contractors, regulatory representatives, and town/city officials in a positive collaborative manner.
– Knowledge of power system operations, electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering, engineering economics, and familiarity with legal, purchasing, and utility accounting regulations is preferred.
– Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints. Bottom-line oriented, budget-conscious, metric/measurement driven.
– Ability to create a high energy team climate whereby team members are able to discuss relevant issues freely and where there is a strong emphasis on continuous improvement.
– Ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders (e.g. both external and internal).
– Strong skills in: negotiations, presentation, program management, interpersonal & written communication, and critical analysis.
– Exhibit high personal standards of commitment and integrity.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: From $60.00 per hour
Work Location: One location