A nursing assistant is a paraprofessional trained to provide personal care and related health care and assistance to individuals who are sick disabled or infirm and who are residents of or receiving services from health care facilities or agencies licensed by the state and holds a license as a nursing assistant issued by the Department of Health.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lifespan employees are expected to embrace Lifespan’s mission of “Delivering health with care” and successfully role model Lifespan’s values of Compassion Accountability Respect and Excellence as this guides our everyday actions with patients customers and one another.
Duties of Nursing Assistants
Collaborate with Registered Nurse to organize work and set priorities. Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse performs:
1. Personal Care Skills
2. Basic Nursing Assistant Skills: As outlined by the Rhode Island Department of Health Professional Licensing and Facility Regulation.
3. Rehabilitation Skills: Performs daily activities of living ambulates patient as appropriate
4. Maintenance of Safe Environment: Reports unsafe conditions/situations to Registered Nurse manager or supervisor; reports equipment in need of repair and removes from service.
5. Recognition of and Reporting Signs and Symptoms: Communicates all pertinent patient observations to the Registered Nurse.
6. Safety: Maintains quality assurance and infection control in accordance with established hospital and department policies procedures and objectives. Accurately documents data in the EHR patient care flowsheet clinical data records; demonstrates ability to perform responsibilities in emergency/code situations. May function as a patient observer.
Performs other related duties as required
Current Rhode Island license as a Nursing Assistant.
High school graduate or its equivalent preferred.
Ability to perform basic computer skills.
Certified in American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS).
Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care to patients throughout the life span with consideration of aging processes human development stages and cultural patterns in each step of the care process.
One-year experience as a Nursing Assistant preferred.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL CONDITIONS:
Works in healthcare environments such as acute care hospitals physicians offices and ancillary health care enterprises. Prolonged sitting standing and walking. Repeated bending squatting and stooping. May be required to lift/turn patients and equipment.
Works under the supervision of the Registered Nurse within the scope of hospital and department policies and practices and the Rhode Island Department of Health Professional Licensing and Facility Regulation.
Refers specific complex problems to supervisor where clarification of department policies and procedures may be required.
Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race color religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Location: Rhode Island Hospital USA: RI: Providence
Work Type: Part Time
Shift: Shift 1